Re: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue ---> need your input NOW

Subject: Re: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue ---> need your input NOW
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 23:20:36 -0700

I would mark the passage with a notation pointing out that the necessary
attribution for the reused text are "missing" without expressing any conclusions
as to whether the omission is inadvertant or deliberate. Depending on your
ambition, you can then proceed to Google other portions of the text and similarly
mark any other unattributed reuses you find. After all, your role as an editor is
to catch various sorts of "errors..."

Gene Kim-Eng

At 12:45 AM 5/4/2003 -0400, Bonnie Granat wrote:

I'm doing a job and Googling sometimes in order to get information that will
assist me in discerning the author's meaning.Twice tonight I have come upon
text that is identical to my author's. Not just a phrase or two, but entire
paragraphs.

This job is due tomorrow night and I am almost through with it.

My query is a global one: what on earth do I say to the editor who hired me as
a telecommuting editor? And why do I feel as if I've just read someone else's
diary or something?

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com