RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:04:29 -0400

Dick wrote in response to the question "what do companies look for in a
technical editor?":

> 2. Formal grammar learned from an old battle-axe in junior high
> or high school (college is too late). Knows parts of speech,
> tense, voice, mood, diction, person, how to diagram a sentence,
> the difference between which and that, .... This probably means
> the candidate is over 50.

Well, I'm not telling my age, but I'm not over 50 and I think I could meet
most of these requirements. I did have some great teachers in high school,
though (and college, too).

The class that has helped me the most with editing is the copyediting class
I took several years ago at a local university. That class refreshed my
memory from my long ago high school days (yes, I'm not over 50, but am over
30), and taught me the correct symbols for copyediting to boot. It was well
worth the small price and getting to class every day at 8 a.m. (summer
session!).

One thing we didn't do was diagram sentences. I just can't seem to remember
that from 8th grade English! ; )

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.
www.fpoint.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com