RE: Checking facts during editing

Subject: RE: Checking facts during editing
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:36:47 -0600

I'm trying hard to think if I've ever had my work specifically "fact
checked" by anyone -other- than the SME or QA (who are often, but not
always, the same people).

When I'm working with a non-SME editor (usu. another writer, as
cross-editing has been very common in most of my working environments), we
do call attention to things we -think- may be in error, but again, it's the
writer's job to verify the item with the SME.

On those delightful occasions when I've been able to outsource the final
edit to a dedicated editor, the assumption is that it's already been
thoroughly gone over for technical accuracy during all the previous reviews.
The editor's job, in those situations, has been to review the doc for style,
grammar, typos, clarity, etc. If they know the subject matter, or if I've
written something that makes no sense to them when they read it, of course
they call attention to it, but fact-checking isn't on their list of tasks.