Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 09:22:41 -0700

Diane Boos wrote:

> ...I learned that the old fashioned way, sweat and tears,
> and some grammar books. Does it mean I can't be a "good
> technical writer"?

Not at all--you can be a great tech writer without knowing any of that stuff. To be a good writer, you need to be able to *use* the parts of speech and the tenses correctly.

The question was about being a technical *editor*, and for that you really should know the *names* of the parts of speech and the *names* of the tenses.

You *can* be a technical editor without that knowledge, but its absence will affect your credibility with your managers, your fellow editors, and (most important) the writers whose work you edit.

Speaking from experience, here...

David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com