Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 06:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

"Con & Yu" wrote

> What do companies look for in a technical editor?
>
> I know this is a tech-writers list but you writers must have a wish list of
> who you would like to work with.

A *technical* editor, just like a *technical* writer must possess extensive
subject-matter knowledge first foremost. You cannot intelligently edit a
document without an understanding of the material. That means if you don't know
it, you have to learn it - fast.

Naturally, the person must have exceptional grammar and communication skills.
But that merely gets a technical editor in the door. To win the job, a good
editor must offer more than merely communication and grammar skills.

Now, some places will hire pure grammar nazi types who have no subject matter
skills whatsoever. In some environments this may work. But, as always, it is
better to have subject-matter skills.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com