RE: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)

Subject: RE: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

And because it's literary allusion, it doesn't even
realy require attribution. In an educated society,
it's possible to assume that most people will
recognize (for example) "to be or not to be" without
either thinking you wrote it yourself, or thinking you
"stole" it from Shakespeare. Paxton's "The Marvelous
Toy" is probably not as familiar as Shakespeare to
everyone, so it was worth an overt tip o' the hat.

Someone else's reference to Alice's Restaurant (8 by
10 glossies with circles and arrows ...) was
unattributed, bbut I'm sure no one would call that
infringement, any more than quoting a tag line from a
popular commercial in daily conversation (as opposed
to using it in a commercial for another product). It's
just popular culture in action.

Maggie Secara
~hoping one day to be quoted by the masses

> That, folks, is a nice example of literary allusion
> and, AFAIK, is covered under fair use (or maybe
> under the parody doctrine, which may or may not be a
> special case of fair use but I don't know because
> IANAL). In any case, it isn't plagiarism, because
> Kat is explicitly giving credit to the putative
> original author.

http://search.yahoo.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com