RE: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)

Subject: RE: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:51:35 -0400

"Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com> wrote:

>"You know, those things at <name of big builders' warehouse> that go
>"zip" when they move and "bop" when they stop, and "whirr" when they
>stand still, and get you your eighty-seven 14-foot-long two-by-fours
>and 200 toggle bolts and a screwdriver all by themselves without a
>driver.
>--
>Kat Nagel,
>with apologies to Tom Paxton

That, folks, is a nice example of literary allusion and, AFAIK, is covered under fair use (or maybe under the parody doctrine, which may or may not be a special case of fair use but I don't know because IANAL). In any case, it isn't plagiarism, because Kat is explicitly giving credit to the putative original author.

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com