Re: Help with Documentation

Subject: Re: Help with Documentation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:48:27 -0400

"Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>Alternatively, you could do diffs to compare the previous vs. the
>current versions (Your management DOES save old versions, right?)

That brings up an interesting issue. Our site content consists mostly of text stored in a database. When we overwrite the content of a database cell, poof! The old content is gone. (If it were our database server, presumably we could journal any changes; but our database sits on a massive server with hundreds of other sites, and we do not have administrative privileges.)

Nobody has asked me to document changes, so my interest in this question is strictly hypothetical.

But the question remains, what is the best way to document changes in this situation. One thing that has occurred to me is to capture the site as a PDF from time to time. But doing that every time there is a change on the site would be burdensome. Even doing it once a day seems like extreme overkill.

There is the Wayback Machine, but that misses a lot, too, especially if you've got a robots.txt file on your site.

Any other thoughts?

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com