RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:56:38 -0400

Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com wrote:

> If I were a hiring manager again, I would not make any assumptions based on age, even a "probably". I might lose a good candidate if I put those type of blinders on.

Rosie and Lydia,

Just to be perfectly clear, what I included in my wish list (and, by the way, I see nobody else offered a response to the original poster's request for wish lists) was the following:

"2. Formal grammar learned from an old battle-axe in junior high or high school (college is too late). Knows parts of speech, tense, voice, mood, diction, person, how to diagram a sentence, the difference between which and that, .... This probably means the candidate is over 50."

The way I read that, my wish was for a person who had learned formal grammar, regardless of age or how they came upon that learning. My aside about being over 50 was just an expression of my cynical opinion of present-day teaching methods in English and had nothing to do with hiring based on stereotypes.

I do think that analyzing and generating grammatical sentences using formal rules probably needs to be introduced in early adolescence, but I'm willing to be persuaded that people who first encounter the subject in college or later can pick it up.

Dick

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com