RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:43:26 -0700

"Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com> wrote:

>Well, I'm not telling my age, but I'm not over 50 and I think I could meet
>most of these requirements. I did have some great teachers in high school,
>though (and college, too).

And Dick replied:
<<
Lydia,

I did say "_probably_ over 50," [emphasis added], based on my experience. I'm glad there are some who are younger than that; I just fear they are too few.

I'm 45 (getting closer to that magick 5-0) and did get complete English training in grade school and high school from several old battle axes, including the arcane art of diagramming sentences. I use these skills in my writing, however. I don't prefer editing as a task; I prefer writing.

I think there would be sizable portion of folks in their 40s also who would meet the English standards you laid down. In addition, many younger people could've gained English mechanics in the same way Lydia did, through copyediting and/or other formats. If I were a hiring manager again, I would not make any assumptions based on age, even a "probably". I might lose a good candidate if I put those type of blinders on.

Rosie "Roro" Wilcox

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com
Buffy: Sorry, that's incorrect. But you do get this lovely watch and a year's supply of Turtle Wax.

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com