RE: Per-job rate?

Subject: RE: Per-job rate?
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 07 May 2003 12:09:42 PDT

I work up an estimate of how many hours I think it'll take
me to produce a proposed project, including a fixed number
of reviews and revisions, then apply my hourly rate to
produce a fixed-price quote. It sounds to me as if you'd
just be doing the same and then comparing your result to
their offered rate to decide if it's worth taking the job.

The critical thing in quoting flat-rate (at least for the
way my projects go) is to make sure the client is absolutely
clear that for the quoted rate they get X opportunities to
review and make changes, and that requests for additional
revisions will result in upcharges. It's also a good idea
for a first-time client to specify incremental payments
when you deliver your first draft, updated draft, final
deliverable, etc., unless you have references from other
people who have worked for them that they are reliable
payers.

Gene Kim-Eng