XP look-and-feel

Subject: XP look-and-feel
From: Erin Cullingham <ecullingham -at- linnet -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:52:55 -0500

Issue #1:
I am writing Help for an application that will be loaded and run on an XP
machine.
This XP box will have ONLY our application on it, and is to be hooked up to
a Machine; the Machine's operators will only be able to look at and use our
software's interface. Everything else will be "turned off." There will be
no desktop icons, nothing in the Start menu, no access to the Task Manager
or the Control Panel, or context (right-click) menus... you get the point.
No other software will be loaded/accessible on the machine - this includes
IExplorer.

Issue #2:
I am working on a Windows 2000 platform (as in, not XP). The application
about which I am writing will not be loaded on the same machine that I
intend to use to author the help. Don't even ASK me how I'm going to take
screen captures... digi cam?

Issue #3:
Due to "budget constraints," we were not able to renew our support/license
agreement with eHelp. As such, I am forever stuck with RoboHelp 2002,
version 9.2 (or some such...). I cannot upgrade at this point.

Okay then...

I need to make regular WinHelp look like an XP window.

I know that you can do this using skins with WebHelp - but I cannot use
WebHelp since the application will be running on a machine without
IExplorer.
Is there any way to change, for example, the navy blue task bar and other
features of my Help window to look like XP, with its turquoise task bar and
big red buttons?

Failing that (XP users, please help me out here): if I build a regular
old-fashioned WinHelp file and run it on an XP machine, will it - per chance
(magically?) - come in looking like XP?

Heck - will a help file made from RoboHelp 2002 even work on XP?

Erin Cullingham
Tech. Comm. Coordinator
Linnet - the Land Systems Company
ecullingham -at- linnet -dot- ca

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com