RE: Online courses with certificate - need suggestions

Subject: RE: Online courses with certificate - need suggestions
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- esstech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:36:18 -0700

I think I would have a problem with online tech courses offered by a retail
bookstore chain. While I might go to a Barnes and Noble to see what its
high-tech book offerings include, I'm not all that sure I would trust them
to enhance my professional credentialing.

Remember, Barnes and Noble is, first and foremost, a retail bookstore chain.
Speaking only for myself, I find the Stanford University Bookstore and the
IEEE Online Store a better place to go for the sort of hard-core engineering
texts I want and need for my own professional development.

Most of the major universities with more professional reputations to uphold
(read Stanford, MIT, and especially Carnegie Mellon University) will
definitely offer superior distance learning programs in the technologies.

Granted, they won't be cheap, but you do get what you pay for. But that's
me.

George

(with apologies to John Posada, who works at B&N as a quite excellent
technical writer)

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com