Re: WinHelp macro (or web link) to open new file using Word template?

Subject: Re: WinHelp macro (or web link) to open new file using Word template?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 15:41:16 -0700

"Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" wrote:

> I think I'm going to jettison the WinHelp idea and put plain old Word
> docs on our web server, linking to them from an HTML page. That way,
> they open in this weird IE-Word hybrid, but there's no danger of users
> overwriting the original file.

...unless they have "write" permission on the file and directory. If they do, though, opening the .doc file in a browser won't protect it.

Try it--from IE, open a .doc file on your own computer, make a change, and select File, Save.

That "weird IE-Word hybrid" is an embedded version of Word, fully capable of modifying files. It may not matter in your situation, but it's important to remember.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com