Interview Process -- This is kinda long

Subject: Interview Process -- This is kinda long
From: Kim Thornton <claudette69 -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 23:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hello:

I am interviewing for a tech writer position with a software company in
SC. I am an out of state candidate. I had the initial phone interview (in
late March) with the Doc Manager of the product group that the selected writer
would support. That interview went well so I traveled to SC for the
face-to-face interview with the Doc Manager and the team leads in mid-April. I
was told I was a "super-candidate" for the position and that the team would
make a decision within two weeks. Well, two weeks came and went. I contacted
the Doc Manager and the HR rep to get an update and to let them know I was
still interested.

The HR manager told me that another phone interview was necessary and was
the final step in the interview process. The second phone interview would
be with the Documentation Manager from another product group. Apparently the
there are two documentation teams who support different products but who
sometimes work together on projects. I had the 2nd phone interview this week
and according the the HR rep the feedback was very positive. However, they
want another phone interview but this time I will be speaking with the
Director of Product Development. Again, the HR rep says that this is the final
step in the interview process.

I provided them with samples of my work (prior to the 1st phone
interview), references, and I took there essay and personality test.

Are all these interviews normal? Specificially, additional phone
interviews after the face-to-face? Especially for a tech writer position. Not a Sr.
Tech Writer, or Documentation Manager, just a tech writer position.

I've been in the industry for about 41/2 years. I've never had so many
interviews for one position. Usually, its a phone, face-to-face and then
either an offer or a "thanks but no thanks." Could my out of state status (and
possible relocation expenses) be the cause? The economy? I'd love to hear
what everyone thinks! Thanks!

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com