Re: Tools: WebWorks goes Word!

Subject: Re: Tools: WebWorks goes Word!
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:20:44 -0700 (PDT)

> Anyone who's been on techwr-l has undoubtedly heard
> many good things about
> WebWorks publisher for FrameMaker. I'm skeptical
> about the whole concept of
> single-sourcing without using a database and a
> rigorously disciplined
> approach to writing the text, but that's another
> story; WWP for Frame seems
> to be a godsend to those who use it.

Single-sourcing doesn't require a database. You can
apply the same concepts to fragmented database chunks
or in-line (by placement) chunks. We all know Word and
Frame to be "creative" composition tools, but how you
architect content can be applied to any content
container, database or other.

> Those of us who use Word may be interested to know
> that WebWorks has now
> come out with a version that works with Word:
> http://www.webworks.com/products/wwpp_w/default.aspx
> (Incidentally, spotted the announcement for this
> product this in Intercom,
> the STC magazine. Another benefit of membership!
> <G>)

Actually, WordHelp (WWP for Word version 1) has been
around and commercially available for over a year, and
there are many users. The new version sports more
functionality, bringing it up to the "status" WWP for
FM is currently at. IMO, if the STC is just catching
wind of this tool, it's well behind the info ball.
*vbg* There have been public discussion forums for
this tool for a while now, and many references to it
in various techcomm trade articles.

> Our own David Knopf has written a white paper on the
> product which I'm
> hoping to read shortly:

http://www.webworks.com/products/wwpp_w/whitepaper.aspx

A darn good paper too, I might add.

> Anyone had a chance to use WWP for Word yet, whether
> as a beta tester or in
> your regular production work? Not something we're
> going to use here in the
> immediate future, but it does sound like something
> I'll want to keep an eye
> on in the longer term.

The use of the Word tool is virtually the same as for
FM. Your level of success relies on your handling of
the source, primarily outside the tool. Then again,
doesn't everything we do?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)