RE: Interview Process -- This is kinda long

Subject: RE: Interview Process -- This is kinda long
From: "Lathrop, Sarah" <Sarah-Lathrop -at- forum-financial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:45:20 -0400

Kim wrote:

<<I've been in the industry for about 41/2 years. I've never had so many
interviews for one position. Usually, its a phone, face-to-face and then
either an offer or a "thanks but no thanks." Could my out of state status (and
possible relocation expenses) be the cause? The economy? I'd love to hear
what everyone thinks! Thanks!>>

Kim,

For my current position, I had to interview with four people, and this was an internal move within my company (not a big company either, only about 250 people). I think some of the reason for that was internal politics and some of it was because the group had never had a writer as part of the team. The woman who was to be my manager was new and I believe that is why two people above her wanted to interview me as well.

If you have a good feel for the company otherwise, I would not be put off by the number of different people who want to interview you. Look at it this way, if you get the job, you will already have the beginnings of a working relationship with all of these people when you walk in the door. The fact that the Director of Product Development wants to interview you could mean that they view writers as part of the development team (gasp, what a concept!). Hard to know from the outside looking in, but the phone interview with that Director could give you some valuable insights into the relationship between the writers and the developers.

Sarah

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com