RE: English isn't the native tongue of ...

Subject: RE: English isn't the native tongue of ...
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:14:39 -0400

There is an article at TechRepublic on encouraging users to read technical documentation. Although aimed at Help Desk staff, several of the suggestions looked interesting from a more general viewpoint.

---
ENCOURAGE USERS TO READ AND USE HELP DESK DOCUMENTATION (by Jeff Davis)

You've heard the saying, "The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer." In my opinion, the same principle applies to the technical haves and have-nots: The technically savvy are getting smarter, and the technically challenged are falling further behind. At least, that's the feeling I get when I talk to help desk managers and analysts who are frustrated because they get the same questions--often from the same end users--week in and week out.

What can tech support professionals do about this state of affairs? I suppose we could become more involved with the schools, encourage technology training at an early age, or volunteer to teach the wannabe techies whenever we can. But what can we do about the poor souls who don't know how to copy a file from one drive to another? Or who can't remember the
new password they just entered yesterday?

I am reminded of a line from Galaxy Quest, one of my favorite movies: "Never give up--never surrender!"

In this week's Help Desk Advisor column, I'll give you several
suggestions for reaching those technical have-nots and ensuring that they use the documentation you create for them.
http://cl.com.com/Click?q=0e--eOTIiQnhpRBGNk3j1dLHRzTibFR

Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services
Phone: (585) 820-4045 Fax: (585) 244-3565
Business: katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com
Personal: katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com