RE: Multiple Table Views

Subject: RE: Multiple Table Views
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:24:54 -0400

Ant...

Thanks

This is a design document, which basically, makes it a book of data, names,
numbers, codes, and diagrams...very little procedural stuff. It's for this
reason that I believe that how volumes of data are presented not only has a
bearing on being able to find it, but if presented in the right way, shows
relationships that helps the reader understand underlying concepts.

An example: I have 40 database servers that replicate SQL tables. You have
a set of servers that function as Publishers, a set that function as
Distributors, and a set that function as Subscribers.

I had a new DBA that was looking at the list and he comes to me with the
revelation that the names of the servers include, as part of their name,
what level they are at within the hierarchy, though in a very cryptic
manner. It was because, instead of sorting by name which would have been the
logical method, I first sorted by Function.

The only reason I say this is that many times, the most obvious way and
conventional way isn't the way that reveals the most out of the data and
isn't it better to have a user deduce an understanding of something on his
own instead of hoping that he reads 2-3 pages just to explain it to him?.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

> My first thought was that you are right to provide both versions,
> especially if both audiences need to refer to the tables quite
> frequently and the lists are long (12 + items).

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com