Multiple Table Views

Subject: Multiple Table Views
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:15:55 -0400

Hi, guys..I'd like you opinion on whether this is odd or not.

I have many tables in my documentation. As an example, I have a list of
servers and in a table, I include a column for physical name and virtual
name (2 or more physical servers make up a virtual server).

I do this because my docs must serve multiple masters; my database people
like the virtual designation and my network operations people like the
physical designation. Now...I could cater to one and not the other, but I
don't want do that.

So...in many instances, I put more than one version of the same data and
sort on different columns. Example (the following example is simplistic, but
it makes the point) One table where column one might be virtual and column
two, physical, then sort on virtual, then another table with the same data,
but with physical column 1 and virtual column 2, then sorted on physical.

Is this dumb? What kills me is that all the data comes out of the same
database, I just cannot get universal buy in on the database instead of the
documentation.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com