RE: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?

Subject: RE: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?
From: "Fargas, Adrienne" <AFargas -at- condor -dot- nrl -dot- navy -dot- mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:25:20 -0400

"David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com> wrote:

>Gang:

>One obvious "gotcha" with using Normal can be seen in Word
>97 and 2000. I don't know about XP, because I haven't got
>it.

>If you define your Normal to have, say 6 points space above,
>you'll have a difficult time reading the content of the Mark
>Index Entry dialog box, because, for some reason, it uses
>that definition when displaying the Main entry. That's the
>kind of problem experts are trying to help you avoid.

Ah, so *that's* what made the text in that dialog box look weird! Thanks for
helping me to solve that mystery.

Personally, I have never used the Index Entry dialog box to insert an XE
field. The one time I opened it was just to see what it was; prior to two
weeks ago I had no idea something like that even existed, just because I
learned to do index entries by directly inserting the XE field. I created a
macro to insert {XE " "} and linked it to a button on one of my template's
custom toolbars, since it's a pain to select Insert > Field > XE for every
index entry.

Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com> asked:

>What would be the advantage of "no other style"?

I suppose that if you didn't want your other styles to automatically change
whenever you change Normal, then you'd want them to be independent of Normal
or any other style.

As for the "styles going haywire" discussion....If you give other users a
document to edit, can't you prevent their Normal.dot styles from replacing
your template styles by setting the UpdateStylesOnOpen document property to
"False"? (You can do this in the VBA Properties window or by clearing the
"Automatically Update Styles" check box in the Templates and Add Ins dialog
box.

In other news, I think I have just run into a Word bug (surprise, surprise,
I know). For some odd reason I can't quite fathom, all of my AutoText
entries have just transmogrified into document styles in my template. Anyone
else ever encounter this?

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com