Re: Document the detritus?

Subject: Re: Document the detritus?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 08:29:55 -0700 (PDT)

John,

My basic position has always been to document the system as is. I bring things to
the team's attention and to management's attention as to what the final product will
say about the system, or whatever, when we do that and recommend that they clean
things up if they don't want the documentation making the product look bad, even
internally. But the bottom line is I document what it is as it is, not what it
should be or what someone hopes it will become.

That said, I do consult with management and/or the team about documentation issues
such as the one you bring up and try to reach a consensus on what or how we're going
to do it. So far, I've never had trouble getting buy-in for either fixing/cleaning
problems or documenting them. However, they are paying the bills and if they want it
done a certain way, I'll do it. (I'll probably start looking for another job if I
find the situation onerous, and I have.)

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 05/12/2003
--Dialog involves listening as much as talking.--

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com