RE: Document the detritus?

Subject: RE: Document the detritus?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:34:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> > That said, I do consult with management and/or the team about
> > documentation issues such as the one you bring up and try to
> > reach a consensus on what or how we're going
>
> I've had NO instruction on how they want it. I came from vacation, my boss
> sat down and said "Go document XXX starting next Monday".
>
> Q: What do you want? A: Everything
> Q: How do you want it? A: The CTO liked what you did with X, give him one
> like you did for that system.
> Q: When do you want it? A: When you're done.

First thought that comes to mind is, "Okay, we do it warts and all. That will tell
them what needs cleaned up, repainted, fixed, etc."

Second thought is to go back, stick my head in the door, and ask, "So you want the
system as is, right? Even if I find things that need to be cleaned up." That will
either start a two minute dialog about what your concerns are, or the answer will
be, "Yes, that's what we want."

John, I suspect you can play it either way, because either way it sounds like
they'll want to know what they've got, maybe for the first time. It sounds like FUN!

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 05/12/2003
--Dialog involves listening as much as talking.--

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com