RE: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers

Subject: RE: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers
From: "Robin Mc2" <robin -at- mcdts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:29:45 -0500

The only other category that might come close is journalist, IMO. <snip>
And in this job, I even get to have ethics and stick to them.
~~~
I work on a few short-term tech and grant writing gigs here and there, but I
resigned from my full-time technical writing position over a year ago in
order to homeschool my two sons, 8 and 14. I now work as a freelance
correspondent for a local newspaper, senior editor for a national
homeschooling magazine, and product reviewer for another online magazine. I
also teach journalism and technical writing, and develop curriculum for that
vast, largely unknown and/or misunderstood demographic group around the
world, commonly known as homeschoolers. :)

Since these jobs are part-time, they certainly do not match up to a
full-time technical writing position. On an hourly basis, the magazine
positions are fairly lucrative. My motivation at this time is not money, but
education and opportunity. The added benefit to my newspaper job, for
example, is that I take my sons with me to the police station and to council
meetings. They learn, firsthand, how government runs (or doesn't run, as the
case may be:) in a small town. Another reward is that I get perks like free
admission to events; free software, literature, and games to review; and
lots of contacts. I have a monthly deadline, and I work from the convenience
of my home, around my homeschooling schedule.

Not bad for a homeschooing mom who left the rat race to mommy track, eh? ;-)

Thankfully, in the small community setting where I work as a journalist,
ethics issues don't arise very much. I worked as a journalist in a larger
community before, and felt the need to move on. At that time, I knew if I
continued, my ethics would be compromised by a gaggle of advertisers. I work
for a subscription-based newspaper now, which does make a difference in its
focus. Feature writing for magazines is a bit different, and doesn't involve
a lot of politics or ethics, so I'm safe there, too.

All in all, I would say my life is relaxing and interesting right now!

Robin Mc2 (McCloud McDonald)
Mom to the McKids
www.mcfamily.net
Senior Editor, Homeschooling Parent Magazine
www.homeschoolingparent.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com