RE: RE: Re: How to handle when the scope changes?

Subject: RE: RE: Re: How to handle when the scope changes?
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:14:19 -0400

> Ain't cognitive dissonance grand? :-)
>
> Of course, that same boss probably recovered a few seconds later,
> grinned, and made the foolish assumption that you weren't being
> serious. . . .

Actually, that stemmed from a conversation I had with an account who was
also a friend. I told him that to meet the price that I needed to get the
job, I was going to be going out on a limb to my boss and if it turned out
that payment was late, I wasn't going to be able to protect the quoted price
the next time it went out for pricing.

Since he was a friend, I always made sure I saw him at the end of the day,
when we could leave and grab a drink (on expenses...did I mention it was my
company's second largest account and my expenses for that account were never
questioned...). Kidding around, he asked me how I was going to enforce the
quick payment with the company's receivables depart, which being a financial
company, understood the value of keeping money as long as possible, and
hence, was notorious for slow payment. I told him that I wasn't...he was.
That's when I drew the diagram, passed it to him, and told him to pin it to
his office wall as a reminder of why he was going to do it. He laughed...I
laughed...I ordered the next round.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

> John Posada [mailto:JPosada -at- book -dot- com]
> > OTOH, I had the lowest float of any company accounts. My
> > boss called me in
> > to find out what I did to get the number so he could advise
> > the other reps.
> > I told him that as soon as the invoice exceeded 30 days, I
> > would meet with
> > the client and draw the customer a very simple map. At one
> > corner, I place
> > an X. I told him that I would tell the customer that the X
> > was where his
> > child waited for the school bus in the morning. You should
> > have seen the look on my boss' face.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com