Stories of arrogant dot.com-era job applicants

Subject: Stories of arrogant dot.com-era job applicants
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

Somebody sent me this today, it came off of some board somewhere...made me
chuckle. This guy is probably working at a car wash these days (or he's an STC
officer).

Best stories of arrogant dotcom-era job applicants

I had a guy come in to interview for a job as a senior technical writer. This
is in about 99. As I recall, the salary was to be $65-$78k, with incentives,
depending on experience. The person would be in charge of a small team working
up all our documentation.

He had been a T/W consultant at XXXXX, and had documented one of their big
application server products. Had been there about 4 years I think. Pretty
top-flight experience, but he really had no technical credentials or
qualifications outside of the writing experience.

So I started the interview by telling him our CIO and his team were designing
the new application and...

The guy interrupts me and says "That's what I want to do. I really don't want
to take up any more of your time. Thank you."

Turned out that he had also refused to fill out an application or sumbit
references or speak to the HR department. He felt he, as a senior Technical
Writer, didn't need to submit to such indignities.

We did not hire him.

It reminded me of a similar butthead I interviewed back in 1999. Same attitude.
Refused to take our technical test. When I told him it was a requirement to be
considered for the job, he ranted and raved how this kind of technical test was
not a good measure of his skill.

Maybe not, but his response certainly said a lot about what kind of person he
is.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.