Re: Writers, Editors, and Managers

Subject: Re: Writers, Editors, and Managers
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 06:31:03 -0700

Mike O. writes:

>The managers at the Times seem to be accepting responsibility for the
>bad writing, and are dealing with the root causes.

That's one of the benefits of having professional management. They either
don't play the blame game or they do it competently. They don't fall into
the following trap:

VP: "Who is responsible for this mess?"

MANAGER: "It's all the writer's fault. All of it. He's 100% responsible for
his work."

VP: "100%?"

MANAGER: "That's right."

VP: "Does he work in a vacuum, then?"

MANAGER: "Well, no. His work is reviewed by the engineers, and by me, of
course, and edited by the editor."

VP: "Who hired him?"

MANAGER: "I did."

VP: "Who is supposed to monitor his progress?"

MANAGER: "I am."

VP: "Who is in charge of getting him necessary training? Taking disciplinary
action? Making appropriate work assignments?"

MANAGER: "I am."

VP: "But it's all his fault."

MANAGER: "That's right."

VP: "Tell me, why does it say 'manager' on your business card?"

-- Robert

Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com