"Sticky fields?"

Subject: "Sticky fields?"
From: Erin Cullingham <ecullingham -at- linnet -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:06:45 -0500

I have a terminology query that my old copy of the MS Manual of Style
couldn't answer.

Our software has fields with persistent data - commonly used values that
stay locked in certain field when the rest of the window is refreshed, to
allow for quick and easy data entry by the user.

In our design documents, we've called them "sticky fields," since the data
stays sort of "stuck" inside... but I can't use this term in the Help. It's
too cute.

I'd certainly like to know the actual term for this, but I'm more interested
in a any friendlier names you may have called such a thing, Unfortunately,
the best I've come up with so far, as far as official terminology goes, is
"persistent attributes." That's just too ugly.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Erin Cullingham
ecullingham -at- linnet -dot- ca