RE: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: RE: What to look for in a technical editor
From: "Fiona Hurley" <Fiona -dot- Hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:31:56 +0100

> Dick Margulis wrote:
> I would just add that governing the personal opinions of most people is
> the natural tendency to exaggerate the importance of what _I_ do well
> that _you_ do poorly and to discount the importance of what _you_ do
> well that _I_ do poorly. Recognizing this human quality in ourselves is
> one marker of maturity.

Funny, I've found the opposite. I used to assume that anyone could write --
because it was easy for me. It took a few unintelligible documents written
by otherwise-intelligent people to realise that this was not the case.

It's not quite the same with technical knowledge, since I am always learning
new things and considering the newbie's POV is often part of the job. But I
find that I am not overly impressed by people who know what IIOP stands for
(I know it, therefore it is easy), while I am in awe when I watch ER and
Luka talks to Abby about the "subhaemoral sclerosothingigummy" (I don't know
it, therefore it is difficult).

[OK, Luka provokes feelings of awe not entirely related to his vocabulary,
but anyway...]

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com