Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 05:53:53 -0400

Jan Henning replied to this comment from Another Person:

Apart from the many reasons, one of them is because communication skills in and
of themselves are just not that remarkable.

with this:

Neither are technical skills: Everybody has them - everyboby knows how to operate a car, how to turn on and use on a basic level a computer, how to screw together Ikea furniture.

Like communication skills, technical skills are commonplace and become valuable only when they reach a certain level of expertise. The actual level may be different for both sets of skills (and, by the way, for technical skills in different fields), but there is no fundamental difference in this regard between communication and technical skills.

I would just add that governing the personal opinions of most people is the natural tendency to exaggerate the importance of what _I_ do well that _you_ do poorly and to discount the importance of what _you_ do well that _I_ do poorly. Recognizing this human quality in ourselves is one marker of maturity.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com