RE: Are scanners slow?

Subject: RE: Are scanners slow?
From: "Stuart Rogers" <srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:39:12 -0400

I believe Jeff is right -- far more depends on to what and how the scanner
is connected. I have a new Epson 2450 scanner, which is at the high end of
non-graphics-professional units. It is USB2 compatible but is connected to a
USB hub on a USB1 port on a 1 GHz Pentium III limping along on Win98SE.

The scanning process for an 8.5 x 11 colour page at 600 dpi takes 2.5 min,
but much of the time the scanner pauses while data is transferred to the PC
-- including a full 30 sec after the scanner actually stops moving. I have a
feeling that with a USB2 port the PC would be able to keep up, and scanning
time would be cut in half at least.

As for bargain brands, I always remember the sage advice of my Newfie roofer
when providing his price quote: "You pay for what you get" (sic)!

Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator
Phoenix Geophysics Limited
Toronto, ON, Canada
+1 (416) 491-7340 x 325

mailto:srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com

Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical Writers explain How to Work the Product.
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
X against HTML email
/ \ & vCards