RE: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: RE: What to look for in a technical editor
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:20:24 -0400

>> when the War of 1812 was fought? Bonus points for the country.
>
>Ya woulda thunk that they'd learned their lesson after getting their butts
>kicked less than 30 years earlier :-)

Um, think you've got it wrong John. The American colonies fought for
independence in 1776 and won. That much is true. The war of 1812 however was an
American attack on the Canadian colonies under the edict/dream of "Manifest
Destiny" and the incorrect assumption that Canadians would rise up and fight on
the sides of the American invaders. What happened was the opposite. Americans
tried and failed at that trick a number of times actually.

In the war of 1812, the British/Canadians pushed the Americans all the way back
to Washington DC and burned the white house down. That's why it's whitewashed
today. If I remember correctly, the fort at Detroit surrendered without a shot
fired because the British/Canadian troops got to the fort before the news that
war had been declared.

My understanding is that after pushing the Americans back to where they came
from, an orderly withdrawal followed.

And "Talking with Americans" is hillarious. (Although rather disturbing at the
same time.)

Eric L. Dunn

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com