RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:23:04 -0400

>>You may not need to know how to repair your computer, but diagnosing is and
>>should be part of our job and part of your skill set. How else will you know
>>when the product is having a problem or it is you?

Well, if you're documenting something that polls all your computer hardware, you
had better know something about the concepts of the various protocols and the
hardware involved.

Thing is, I'm a power user when it comes to computers, many of my colleagues are
not. Does that make me a better techwriter? Not particularly. Our product is big
mass transit rail vehicles, subways, and light rail (All of which we rarely get
to see first hand).

There really are few generalisations that you can legitimately make about the
Techwriting profession.

Eric L. Dunn

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com