Re: SURVEY: Developer Response Rate (RE: responsibility)

Subject: Re: SURVEY: Developer Response Rate (RE: responsibility)
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:24:52 +0000

Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com> wrote:

>This calls for a survey.

>Okay, folks, when you send out material for review, what percentage do
>you get back fully reviewed? We're assuming a scenario where you send
>material out to various SMEs? If you like, include comments about how
>you've achieved that rate.

What percentage of the material gets reviewed, or what percentage of
the desired reviewers review it? ;) Could have all kind of metrics
here.

I'd say off the top of my head we can get 80% of all material (including
mass emails to users, one-off documents, etc.) *some* review comments.
As our processes call for quite a few people to review even ephemeral
documents, there's a pretty sad percentage of those recipients who
actually get comments back in time (or at all). I'm afraid that is the
nature of the beast sometimes, and not necessarily anyone's fault.
Fortunately my team's technical knowledge is very strong, so the material
does not suffer much as a result.

However, for more enduring material, we probably get around 90% or higher.
To do this, we make clear our willingness to be flexible (email? meeting?
phone call?), we follow up with stragglers, etc. I'm sure it also helps
that we are pretty responsive to internal requests - one hand washes the
other.

--
Greg Holmes

applications, including Net.