RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: France Baril <Barilf -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:20:50 -0400

Are you technical enough? Well it depends on your subject. I feel knowing
code is quite important when your job is to document APIs. How can you
document something that you would not be able to use. How do you find out
what's missing? If I am not able to develop an application using the API I
document, it means my documentation isn't complete, I am missing some
important information.

Moreover, how can you document code samples if you do not understand them?
Do you ask the developper to do it and then you chech for grammar mistakes?
How doyou know if it is complete enough? Do you trust the programmer who has
to focus on more important things (I mean more important as in to meet his
own deadlines).

It might also help to speak "programmer", as in knowing their vocabulary.

Is your documentation in "online" format? If so, you might need to know at
least html.

The same principles apply to other fields... if you document car mechnic, it
might prove useful to know the name of each part: "Now, screw the black
piece that is 2 cm long in the hole of the piece that is 45 cm from the
front end of the vehicule and 50 cm from the bottom of the car. You know the
one that is close to the light that flashes when the user needs to turn?"