RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:01:33 -0500

>What happens if FedEx goes on strike, what happens if the city you are
in has a
>power outage, or what happens if you come down with the flu. Does
documenting a
>spreadsheet require that you have knowledge of how overnight shipping
works, how to
>run a power station, and how to synthesize a vaccine?
>
>Aren't we getting a little carried away here?

Ok... then how about this one: A basic understanding of your PC &
operating system can help you identify a difference between a bug in
what you're documenting and problems with your own PC. It's good to
know with absolute certainty that the fire shooting out of the back of
your PC's power supply can in no way be caused by the spreadsheet. And
yes, I have seen people document "bugs" near that stupid and bring them
to developers.

Victoria J. Nuttle
Technical Writer, Creative Automation
vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com