RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:13:42 -0500

>I don't need to know how to write in C# or even read C# in order to be
able to understand what the application is intended to do. I mean, what
is code, really? Is it some cryptic form of expression that takes strong
intellect to comprehend?
>No.
>It's a set of instructions designed to tell a set of circuits to do
something. That's it. Nothing more.

No. I mean yes. I mean...

Understanding code, and being "technical", is a logic thing. If you pay
attention in philosophy class and really understand how logic works, you
can look at most code and figure out how it is structured and what it
does. Every good technical writer I've known could look at any code and
at the least figure out what is happening in it.

While a good "technical" person may not be able to program in code, they
should always be able to look at all the parts and figure out how they
work together. A techie of any sort should love being able to get their
hands into the nitty gritty and figure out not just how it works, but
why it works.

Victoria J. Nuttle
Technical Writer, Creative Automation
vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com