RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:04:12 -0400

>It seems like there's been a lot of discussion over
>the years about what makes a true technical writer.

That's because none of us on the list actually do any work. Except John - I'm surprised the glow of his halo isn't visible from here on the East Coast. <g>

>But really, what does it mean to be technical?

In this writer's humble opinion, it means you're able to do your job. The whole "how technical" discussion is meaningless given the degree of diversity in what "tech writers" do. The fact that my job does involve reading code* does not mean that you are not technical enough--it's a mark of the fact that your job is different from mine.

I'm constantly amazed by the longevity of this topic. People really do like to argue, I guess.

Rebecca

* Because I am writing a developers' guide and I have to at least be able to *follow* the examples the engineers cough up in order to be able to write about them.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com