Re: system administrators and documentation

Subject: Re: system administrators and documentation
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:52:53 -0700 (PDT)

"Brian Das" <> wrote in message news:199581 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Interesting idea. The reasoning is a bit presumptuous-- "confusion leads to
> phone calls, phone calls lead to consulting revenue." I don't think it's a
> sound business strategy to assume that an organization's response to useless
> information will be to happily gather up a fistful of dollars and return to
> the source, asking for better information. But who knows - it could happen.
> (What the hell else are they going to do?)

Advice is more valuable than product. The margins on consulting are much, much
higher than product. So, its becoming SOP to go lean on the product an get some
back on consulting. Its very sound strategy that made IBM, SAP, and Oracle
their fortunes.

Expereienced people benefit because they get more competitive pricing on the
product. The people who suffer are newbies who either must get the basic info
elsewhere or hire the company for consulting work.

You are correct that it is a tricky strategy. It really requires a sales force
and support group that is in on the strategy and can steer newbies into
consulting contracts.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.