Re: Certification program?

Subject: Re: Certification program?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 06:19:47 -0700 (PDT)

Anyone can get into any job if they have the right
skills.

A friend of mine is the principal software architect
at a very large security software company. He has a BA
in Psychology and a BA in Sociology. He had no
certifications in anything technical prior to the job
(but now does because his company wanted him to). He
will be 30 years old before the year's over.

Another friend of mine left college to be a
programmer. No degree. No certification. He is still
working as a programmer with no degree and no
certification.

My brother-in-law works as a programmer. He has a BA
in history. He taught himself C++ over a summer and
landed a good job with a government contracted
software shop. He recently got his certification in
C++ after 2 years on the job.

Certification doesn't measure someone's ability to get
a job done. It measures someone's emmersion in a set
discipline.

I'll bet full-time college professors would love tech
writing certification. However, knowing a lot of
college professors who teach tech writing-related
classes, I'd never want them working on my team.

Certification is a measure of knowledge.

Knowledge does not equal ability.

And that's all I have to say about that.

- Goober

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)