Re: Set up to Fail

Subject: Re: Set up to Fail
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:44:01 +0100

John,

I have been 'used' in a similar fashion. By all means be flattered by it. See that someone gets how good you really are, and how good a resource to have. Given that, get the comment in writing and use it as your next reference!

And, before that, go back to them and point out that they have put their best resource into the project so they must have some commitment to it. If they would they like it finished properly within the agreed timeframe you need extra resources, or you can carry on to a new deadline, or (how good is the market in your area?) you can tell the CEO that the CTO and VP Engineering have had a (what) $350 a day resource 'p*ing in the wind' since January and spent $X,000 on a project they knew wouldn't be completed and was thus a waste of money.

Regards,
Ant

John Posada wrote:

Had an interesting meeting with my boss yesterday.

However, after working on it since mid-January, some sections are not
acceptably finished. At the meeting, we outlined what was still weak and
today, he met with the CTO to get me additional resources. I just got off my cell phone with the boss.

His statement...and I paraphrase..."The CTO and VP of Engineering knew from the beginning that you couldn't get it completely done. They knew that nobody could. Two preceding writers quit without making any progress. However, they felt that since you are never satisfied with your own stuff, that you'd push yourself and everyone around you to milk the most that you could and they knew you wouldn't quit on it."

Anyone else ever find out that they were in a similar situation and how did you feel about it?

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com