Re: Set up to Fail

Subject: Re: Set up to Fail
From: Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:18:18 -0700

Happens all the time, John.

Most of the tech writers I work with set very high expectations for themselves, and I'm sure that management counts on that. We're given inadequate resources, impossible deadlines, and expected to produce "quality" documentation--but "quality" isn't defined for us. So we do our best, and more, only to be asked to do it again time after time. And the sad fact is, we're probably producing better quality than our user's (or our employers, whichever) really demand.

Of course, I've never had anyone put it as bluntly as what you heard, but the subtle message is still there. And mind, now, I'm not whining, just telling the truth--I got my annual "attitude" lecture yesterday, so I'm totally with the program today. Yessirree, you can count on me. Today, I'm a cheerleader! Rah!

-Cheers,
Fred

At 01:26 PM 5/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Now...I have mixed feelings...on one side, I'm flattered that they felt that
way about me, and on the other, kinda upset that they put me in that
position.

Anyone else ever find out that they were in a similar situation and how did
you feel about it?

John Posada

Fred Sampson
wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107659/

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com