Re: Quick Question

Subject: Re: Quick Question
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:19:42 +1000

Maggie Pierce Secara wrote:

> My only real conccern is that this is a 1-step
> procedure: Slide the thingy to "On". The LED lights
> up. Everything else is description of what it looks
> like, but is shown as numbered steps.
>
> Whether you should number a 1-step procedure at all is
> another conversation, but I certainly wouldn't want to
> make something this simple seem more complicated than
> it is.

I think the writer has to decide whether
what the LED is doing or not doing
is important enough to warrant making
an LED check part of the power-up
procedure. If it isn't, then it should be
left out, or moved to another topic
devoted to interpreting the LEDs.

If it is an important part of power-up,
then it should be converted from an implied
instruction ("the LED will do something") to
an explicit instruction ("check the ..."; "verify
that the ..."; etc.)

NB I'm using "explicit" the way it used to be
used before some lazy editor decided it meant
"X-rated".

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia