RE: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Drafts Back in Time
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:29:33 -0400

The subject line reminds me of a tech writer I used to work with.

Project managers used to complain that, while they only needed one draft from me, they needed several drafts from the other writer, because this writer couldn't keep track of versions or edits. Once, a PM showed me that the writer had missed an edit on the first draft, got it on the second but missed another edit, then lost the first edit on the third. This writer didn't keep the reviewers' marked-up copies either, possibly for deniability ("no, I didn't get THAT correction, so it couldn't have been MY mistake").

Takes me "back in time," indeed...

BTW, when I send out a doc for review, I say if I don't hear from any individual by the deadline, I will assume they have reviewed the doc and have no comments or corrections. I don't know if it scares them or not.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com