Re: Work Attire

Subject: Re: Work Attire
From: "Lauren Tozer" <TAMETO01 -at- noa -dot- nintendo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:01:39 -0700

Amber Wrote:
"Just out of curiosity, what do you all wear to work?"

We have no formal dress policy either. I wear jeans and t-shirt. I would rather dress a bit more professionally, but it is not practical in my environment. On any given day, I never know if I'm going to have to deal with molten solder or crawling around tracking down wiring in a display case (like I'm going to do this afternoon.)

My advice is to dress like the people that you are working with. This will make it easier for you to be "part of the group." If you dress better than your peers, you may be giving them the "I'm better than you" impression. If you dress down from your peers, then you may be giving them "I don't care enough about my appearance, so how can I care about my work" impression.

In my case, most of the people I work with wear jeans and t-shirts. However, I go work on projects for other departments, and so when I am in those work groups I will switch my hiking boots, jeans, and t-shirts for slacks, loafers, and golf shirts.

Just a few thoughts,

Lauren Tozer-Kilts
Technical Writer
Technical Services Dept.