RE: Work Attire

Subject: RE: Work Attire
From: "Barbara Yanez" <BarbaraYanez -at- cogentsystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:16:24 -0700

I always wondered if ties for me were meant to be some sort of
subliminal phallic symbol. (I am not kidding - I truly wonder if that
was at least subliminally the idea - to get ahead in business, put on a
power persona, etc.)

I don't' know the history of ties. If anyone does, chime in. I would be
curious. I am glad women's business attire didn't/doesn't require them.

I dress casually - button up shirt and casual pants - on Friday I wear
jeans. But I was an accountant and financial analyst when I first came
out of college (late 80's). I had to suit up every day (grey or dark
blue suit. pumps, silk blouses, earrings no bigger than a dime, not too
much make-up, etc. In short - you had to look as male as possible. So,
I, being the irreverent person I can be at times, would suit up but then
put on this humongous pair of loud earrings or something - just to let
the inner me peek through. Muahahahahaha!!!! My revenge....)

- Thank God those days are over!

Barbara Yanez
Integration Group
Mgr - Documentation