RE: House-husbands

Subject: RE: House-husbands
From: "Kat Nagel (lists only)" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:22:46 -0400

At 1:57 PM -0500 2003-05-30, Watson Laughton wrote:

What I was thinking of (and
what I don't know too many examples of In Real Life) is a
Ward-and-June-Cleaver type setup, except one where June goes to the office
every day, and Ward stays home and takes care of Wally and the Beav. A
voluntary, permanent (or semi-permanent, anyway) decision to reverse the
traditional roles. With the possible exception of Washington DC, it seems
like that is STILL quite an uncommon phenomenon.

As I said earlier, it depends on your circle of acquaintances and how open they are to communicating the details of their lives.

Here in Rochester, NY, I know several couples who fit your reverse-Cleaver setup, with the mother working full time outside the home and the father devoting full-time efforts to kidraising/housekeeping. I also know many couples where the wife has a responsible professional or executive job and the husband handles the household responsibilities and uses the rest of his time and energy writing (novels, poetry) or doing volunteer work (crisis counseling, social/political activism, church or arts organization management). None of them make a big deal out of it, and most of the wives' colleagues and friends just assume the husband is being paid.

K@

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com