RE: what do you call your online manuals

Subject: RE: what do you call your online manuals
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:13:13 -0400

At 11:33 PM -0400 2003/04/30, Bill Swallow wrote:

I prefer Gus or maybe Fluffy given the right type of manual...

Ralph. I usually refer to mine as Ralph. Sometimes as Irving or Patricia, but usually Ralph.

It comes from an episode of Ancient History, back in the fall of 19mumble. In my Organic Chemistry course, we were doing a unit on chemical nomenclature. You know, like "2,4-dihydroxypentane" and "3-methyl, 5-aminobenzine". That stuff. The professor would draw a structure on the board, and the students would provide the correct chemical nomenclature for the compound.

For a while, it went well. After an hour, though, the structures were getting more complex and we were getting bored. When a particularly convoluted molecule went up on the board, with all kinds of cross-linking and weird 3D formations, there were no volunteers to name it. The professor noticeably irritated, and began calling on students by name.

Most just shook their heads; a few started the naming process and got themselves tied in knots. The room went silent. After a minute or two, a soft voice from the rear of the lecture hall said "How about...Ralph?"

From then on, any amorphous blob---be it a molecule, new project, rough draft, or the science experiment growing in the back of the crisper drawer, has been Ralph.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com