Re: Essential Technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: Essential Technical Writing Skills
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:42:39 -0600

George Mena wrote:

> Corporate American policy today tells us that workplace anger is
> unacceptable, complete with zero-tolerance policies that include
termination
> of employment and prosecution for assault and battery, manslaughter, and
> murder. Extreme cases of anger showed up at Columbine High School, where

Nonsense. As Tom Murrell said, "Sometimes the only rational response is
anger. Anger is one of the emotions we come equipped with as human beings."

The vast majority of us feel angry at times. Yet, 99+% of us have never
assaulted, batteried, manslaughtered, or murdered anyone. It wasn't "cases
of anger" that "showed up" at Columbine (a few miles from me), it was
_violent sociopaths_ committing _murderous acts_.

Fortunately, violent sociopaths are fairly rare. Not rare enough, however...

It's OK to feel angry (or sad, happy, proud, humble, etc.) if that's an
appropriate emotional reaction to the circumstances. It's _not_ OK to
surrender to that emotion and let it -- and not your better judgment --
control your behavior. Just because you feel something doesn't mean you have
to act on it.

Of course, if you feel angry often, you should probably reexamine either
your circumstances or your outlook on life. But if you _never_ feel angry
(or sad, happy, ...) -- well, that's a problem, too. As Tom mentioned,
people who repress their feelings all the time can make themselves sick.

Richard (who frequently feels silly, but rarely acts on it)

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.