Re: Removing ".fm" from the short filename variable

Subject: Re: Removing ".fm" from the short filename variable
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:12:09 -0600

Archimede Ziviello wrote:

> I want to know how I can remove the ".fm" from the short filename variable
> when inserted into document.

I'm guessing that you're working with FrameMaker and trying to modify the
system variable Filename (Short) to remove the extension. You can't.

FM provides only two filename-related building blocks:

<$filename> -- The name of the current FM file, including extension, e.g.,
mydoc.fm. By default, this building block is used by the Filename (Short)
system variable.

<$fullfilename> -- The full pathname of the current FM file, e.g., C:\My
Documents\mydoc.fm. By default, this building block is used by the Filename
(Long) system variable.

If you're a sick and twisted person, you can switch the building blocks so
that the Filename (Short) variable is defined as <$fullfilename> and
Filename (Long) is <$filename>. ;-)

But you can't redefine what <$filename> means -- it's always going to be the
name of the file.

[BTW, it really helps if you provide some basic context for your questions,
such as what software you're talking about, what OS/platform you're on, what
you're trying to do, etc. That way we don't have to guess.]

> I'm hoping to not go through a lot of steps to get it done.

Zero. Does that work for you? ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs